The paved path, connects Basin St., the north boundary of the French Quarter with N. Alexander St., two blocks from the City Park Ave. entrance to City Park. It follows what is largely a derelict strip of land along the old Norfolk Southern Railroad. Before that it was the Carondelet Canal, completed in 1794, a small but critical waterway for ships entering the city taking the Lake Pontchartrain Bayou St. John route.
In the Treme neighborhood near the F.Q. the corridor is wide with space for developed ball fields and recreation areas. As the corridor moves northeast it narrows containing only the 12 foot wide path.
The park was to open in the late winter of this year but apparently the addition of a new bridge over a drainage canal and other items added after construction had begun delayed the project.